Monday, June 27, 2011

So many Alices

On March 5th, Tim Burton is set to release his vision of Alice in Wonderland here in the states. I feel as though the buzz surrounding this film is near deafening and I'm very curious about the finished project. When I saw the first still shots and press from the movie I remember thinking it was an interesting choice for Alice. Later, I realized that is because I have an image of "Alice" that has everything to do with long blond hair and a blue dress and for some reason anything that deviates from this seems odd. I'm a little ashamed to admit that is probably because I was first exposed to Disney's Alice and that is the image that stuck (despite reading numerous beautifully illustrated versions of the tale), but really there are so many Alices out there. Lewis Carroll's story, first widely published in 1865, has inspired illustrators, animators, photographers, and film makers for well over a century. Burton is certainly not the first to put forth his version of our gal and her Wonderland and, undoubtedly, he won't be the last....


2 comments:

  1. I have the j.t. image on a butter stand. great stuff
    dallas
    http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved looking at all the Alices over time! And you're right - we do want our Alice to look a certain way. I can't wait for the film!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails