Thursday, July 14, 2011

illustrated nursery

 from "The Laidlaw Reader Primer, First year--First Half"
 by Herman Dressel, M. Madilene Veverka, and May Robbins. 
Illustrated by Mabel B. Hill and Hazel Fraze

I still have a lot to do in terms of putting together an actual nursery nook, but that is not stopping me from finding ideas everywhere. 

For example, I can not get enough of illustrated nurseries and picture book bedrooms. There are so many sweet touches to found (like the fabric chair in the image above or the striped curtains in "Goodnight Moon") that I find inspiring (though I have to be careful not to incorporate all of them and make the baby dizzy with color and pattern!) Here are some of my favorites:

In the bedroom below, I obviously love the view of sail boats outside the window (though I can't make that happen in my house...), but I also love the star ceiling, the little vases of flowers, and the animal shaped chair:

 from "Wonderful Story Book" by Margaret Wise Brown
illustrated by J. P. Miller via try-whistling-this

"Yes" and "please" to a patterned wallpaper, touches of the lightest, whitest blue, and a beautifully stenciled dresser:


I think the  following picture confirms that I'm a sucker for sailboats and rocking horses and toy drums:

"The Indoor Noisy Book" by Margaret Wise Brown
illustrated by Leonard Weisgard via krakencrafts

Aside from the presence of the toys mentioned above, I love this image for the huge open window (and view!), the packed mini-bookcase, the kid-size table, and the yellow. I do have a soft spot for some well-used yellow:

"Words" by Selma Lola Chambers
illustrated by Gertrude Elliott via try-whistling-this

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails